Holy Trinity Boltby
A good picture of the Holy Trinity is depicted in the 14th century glass in the tracery of the mediaeval window in Felixkirk and can be seen (more clearly!) on the parish postcard of mediaeval fittings.
Parish Registers for Boltby date back to 1600. With the site of old Ravensthorpe Manor a mile south of the village, it would seem that Boltby was inhabited some considerable time before any occupation by the Knights of Saint John and their Hospital at Felixkirk. It was obviously here that the King’s man, Sir John de Walkyngham, resided.
In the Domesday Book, Boltby (Boltebi of Danish origin) is recorded as the property of Hugh, son of Baldric, and is noticed as a Manor. It was a place of linen weaving and in 1851 had 295 inhabitants, yet 98 less 10 years later. During the 19th century it is interesting to follow the fortunes of people in the registers. One man came as a labourer, eventually owned a farm, and on buying a traction engine became a thresher. The arrival of each child showed the progress of his fortunes! (There were 2 pubs in the village.)
The parish school was erected in 1860 for 30 children and lasted nearly 100 years. It is now the village hall.
The first chapel we know of was founded in 1409 and rebuilt October 23rd 1802, and again in 1859 when it was enlarged. The porch was added in 1907. It is the daughter church of Felixkirk, the more accessible and older parish church, originally being only a chapel of ease for village purposes.