Felixkirk North Yorkshire

view of felixkirk thirsk north yorkshire

In the Domesday Book the village is called FRIDEBI - peace village.
view of st felix church felixkirk north yorkshire

Peaceful or otherwise, the village's claim to a place in history rests mainly on the presence of a local headquarters (commandery) of the Knights Hospitallers of St John of Jerusalem on Mount St John which overlooks the village and the Vale of Mowbray. View of St Felix church Felixkirk Thirsk North Yorkshire

Felixkirk is about 4 miles ENE of Thirsk ( Location Map ) on the edge of the Hambleton hills.

The fine church St Felix has parts of which date from before 1175 and an unusual organ.

The village has no shops, the only retail establishment being
The Carpenters Arms

Genuki's Felixkirk information

Another Felixkirk Website

Other Local Places of Interest

Old Ravensthorpe Manor (N. Grid Ref. 495850 opposite Tang Hall Farm) site of a moated and fortified manor of the de Roos's, de Walkingham's and de Cantilupe's.

The Motte opposite the Carpenter's Arms in Felixkirk was probably once a timber castle (bailey) and is partly man-made.

Nevison House (N. Grid Ref.458849). Formerly a farm, now a restored private house, was reputed to have been the home or refuge of William Nevison the highwayman, often confused with Dick Turpin, who ended his life on the scaffold at York.

Public Transport: Besides the school bus there is no public transport.

View of Felixkirk Thirsk North Yorkshire

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use the site you are agreeing to the use of cookies. More Info