Felixkirk North Yorkshire
In the Domesday Book the village is called FRIDEBI - peace village.
Peaceful or otherwise, the village's claim to a place in history rests mainly on the presence of a local headquarters (commandery) of the Knights Hospitallers of St John of Jerusalem on Mount St John which overlooks the village and the Vale of Mowbray.
Felixkirk is about 4 miles ENE of Thirsk on the edge of the Hambleton Hills.
The fine church St Felix has parts of which date from before 1175 and an unusual organ.
There is no public transport and the village has no shops, the only retail establishment being
the The Carpenters Arms "an inn with rooms".
Other Local Places of Interest
Old Ravensthorpe Manor (N. Grid Ref. 495850 opposite Tang Hall Farm) site of a moated and fortified manor of the de Roos's, de Walkingham's and de Cantilupe's.
The Motte opposite the Carpenter's Arms in Felixkirk was probably once a timber castle (bailey) and is partly man-made.
Nevison House (N. Grid Ref.458849). Formerly a farm, now a restored private house, was reputed to have been the home or refuge of William Nevison the highwayman, often confused with Dick Turpin, who ended his life on the scaffold at York.