Nether Silton & Over Silton North Yorkshire
Both villages are on the boundary of the North York Moors National Park
Nether Silton 100
Over Silton 70
No Bus Service No Shops
Geographical & Historical information from 1890 for Over Silton
Gold Cup Inn Nether Silton is a Free House
All Saints Church Nether Silton
Rebuilt in 1812. Basically a chapel of ease enlarged in 1878 for village worship and convenience. There is a gallery at the back of the church. Its Norman font is tub-shaped. The altar rails are supposed to be from H.MS. Dreadnought.
Like Boltby, this church was enlarged for village use in the mid 19th century but has always been part of the Leake Parish.
The lettering on the mystery stone to the south has the first letter of each word:
"Here The Grand Old Manor House Stood The Black Beams Were Oak, The Great Walls Were Good The Walls Of The East Wing Are Hidden Here A Thatched Cottage Like A Barn Was Here Erected Year A.D. 1765 A Wide Porch Spans A Yard And Alcove."
St Marys Over Silton
Originally the church was dedicated to All Saints, which explains the dedication of Nether Silton. The change may have something to do with the ancient bell, inscribed "Ave Maria Gracia Plena" which supposedly came from Mount Grace.
Here we have a Norman Church with a 12th century or earlier font of simple beauty. The Beilcote is 14th century, the East Window 15th century. The most notable stonework is the 12th century main door in the south wall. The porch is much later and may have been moved round during one of the periodic renovations that seem to have taken place if the corners, courses, foundations and joining of chancel and nave are studied.
The roof beams were old ships' timbers from the yards in Hartlepool. Notice the cross keys of the York Diocese (St Peter's) on one centre shield. The nave roof dates from the 15th century. There is a fine piscina in the south wall of the sanctuary.
In the graveyard are some interesting tombstones, especially the 18th century rectangular ones. There is also an old boundary cross and facilities for the visiting priest: a stable and a mounting block! The silver dates from 1793.
In 1894 there were extensive internal renovations, the most obvious being the chancel arch, with a new vestry, complete with fireplace, and a new perimeter gutter. Records state that in 1590 the chancel was in decay and, no doubt, the church has often been in disrepair, with having no village handy.
The Parish, along with Kepwick whose churchyard it remains, was held by the Prior of Guisborough for a quarter of a knight's fee (1284-5). At other times it was dependant on Coxwold and the Prior of Newburgh (1199).
As for the village and what happened, we can only guess. The favourite answers are that raids by Picts, Scots, Vikings or Danes soon demolished the rough huts in which people lived.
Until the forestry behind was replanted, the beck to the south of the church was fairly large and contained trout. The "terrace" to the west of the church is interesting and the configurations like a mill pond or fish pond in the field above the turning to Nether Silton and to the south of the present village of Over Silton, suggest that once a busy and prosperous population was to be found here. As with most plague churches, like Wharram Percy or those in Norfolk which became deserted, perhaps survivors at that time found that they could get better wages elsewhere for their labours and moved away. However, there is no evidence of actual plague in these parts in the Middle Ages.