Boltby North Yorkshire
BOLTBY. Its glory is its approach from Felixkirk, the lovely ride giving us magnificent views of the Vale of York.
After passing the stone gatehouse of Mount St John (the great house supposed to be on the site of a preceptory of the Knights Hospitallers) we soon face the splendour of the Hambleton Hills, where, deep in a valley through which flows the Gurt of Beck from Boltby Moor, the village lies. Its cottages are of stone and brick, and the tiny modern church, in 13th century style, has a bellcot. Just below it a pretty humped bridge crosses the stream, which runs under the road in fair weather and floods it when it races down after a storm.
(From Arthur Mee's Yorkshire 1941)
Boltby is within The North York Moors National Park
Population approximately 170.
BOLTBY - a history written by The Boltby Millenium Group is available £8.50 plus p&p from Joan Pearson 01845 537638 or firstname.lastname@example.org all proceeds go to Boltby Village Hall.
Boltby village hall walker & cyclist facilities.
The Village Hall is open daily giving access to toilets and also tea and coffee making facilities. You are welcome to enjoy a place to eat your sandwiches and to read our display about the history of the Village. Several times a year we hold pop up cafes. For more information contact Jean West on 01845 537076
Boltby Trekking Centre "Our rides range from 30 minute introductory rides for children, to 1 and 2 hour treks. These are rides are available all year round, in the summer we run longer trail rides."
Pasture Farm Boltby Thirsk YO7 2DY 01845 537298 Bed & Breakfast
A warm welcome awaits on this family farm in beautiful Boltby. Bedrooms with oak beams, excellent walks on North Yorks Moors & central for visiting the Yorkshire Dales and East Coast.
Willow Tree Cottage Boltby Thirsk YO7 2DY 01845 537406 Bed & Breakfast
English Tourist Board Rating 4 star. Large luxurious room, en-suite bathroom, kitchenette.
Holy Trinity Boltby
A good picture of the Holy Trinity is depicted in the 14th century glass in the tracery of the mediaeval window in Felixkirk and can be seen (more clearly!) on the parish postcard of mediaeval fittings.
Parish Registers for Boltby date back to 1600. With the site of old Ravensthorpe Manor a mile south of the village, it would seem that Boltby was inhabited some considerable time before any occupation by the Knights of Saint John and their Hospital at Felixkirk. It was obviously here that the King's man, Sir John de Walkyngham, resided.
In the Domesday Book, Boltby (Boltebi of Danish origin) is recorded as the property of Hugh, son of Baldric, and is noticed as a Manor. It was a place of linen weaving and in 1851 had 295 inhabitants, yet 98 less 10 years later. During the 19th century it is interesting to follow the fortunes of people in the registers. One man came as a labourer, eventually owned a farm, and on buying a traction engine became a thresher. The arrival of each child showed the progress of his fortunes! (There were 2 pubs in the village.)
The parish school was erected in 1860 for 30 children and lasted nearly 100 years. It is now the village hall.
The first chapel we know of was founded in 1409 and rebuilt October 23rd 1802, and again in 1859 when it was enlarged. The porch was added in 1907. It is the daughter church of Felixkirk, the more accessible and older parish church, originally being only a chapel of ease for village purposes.